Diego Costa plans to continue his Chelsea exile in Madrid in his latest attempt to try to force through a return to Atletico.
Striker Costa released a statement on Thursday reiterating the fact he will not return to Chelsea, despite the club ordering him back to their Cobham training ground.
Chelsea maintain that Costa is required to return to training and work to make himself fit for selection under the terms of his contract.
Costa, who could face the threat of legal action from Chelsea, said: “My destination is already made. I must return to Atletico Madrid. It turns out that there is the impasse that Chelsea does not want to release me. But I believe that this situation will be resolved now on my return to Spain.” It is understood Costa still has a house in Madrid from his four-year spell at Atletico, which he is now expected to travel to from Brazil. Atletico are not thought to be in any rush to meet Chelsea’s asking price for Costa, as they cannot register the 28-year-old until January under the terms of their transfer embargo. Chelsea are adamant they will not let Costa go for a knockdown fee, but, in theory, the club could investigate trying to sue the player and his advisors for the difference between his sale price and market value if it was felt he eventually left at a reduced price.
This is not the first time Costa has skipped training in a bid to force a return to Atletico. Last year, the Spain striker sat out three days of pre-season training in America after informing Chelsea he wanted to leave. Chelsea wrote to Atletico TWICE to warn that they would report them to FIFA if they continued their public pursuit of the player and the Spanish club signed Kevin Gameiro instead. Costa was forced to back down, but again asked to leave Chelsea in January following interest from China.It was at that point head coach Antonio Conte first told the player and his advisors that they could find a new club this summer. #BlueIsTheColour #CFC #CFCFans #CFCFamily #CFCTillIDie #BPL #EPL #PremierLeague #PreSeason #CFCTour #Champions #ComeOnYouBlues #WearChelsea #PremierLeagueChampions #ChelseaFC #COYB #KTBFFH #IfItsNotBlueItWillBe #CFCArmy #TheBlues #diegocosta
12:57 AM Aug 18, 2017
Paul Merson says he would be worried about signing Diego Costa after his behaviour at Chelsea but he adds that Atletico Madrid hold all the cards. "I'm a big fan of his football wise - I don't agree with his behaviour now - and on the pitch, he is a top player, but I'd be worried about buying him," he said on The Debate. "When people do this, there is something wrong with you if you're doing something like this. In my wildest dreams, I couldn't do that. I couldn't do it, Mark [Schwarzer, his fellow guest on The Debate] wouldn't do it and I know a lot of footballers who wouldn't. So there has got to be something in his make-up. Why would you buy someone who has got that in them to get up one morning, go home and say 'I'm not coming back'?" While Costa may favour a move to Atletico Madrid, they are currently under a transfer embargo until January 2018 but Merson believes that if a transfer was to happen, the La Liga side would have the power. "Atletico Madrid could be talking to another Spanish club and saying 'we will buy him and you take him on loan for six months for us'," he added. "It seems at the moment, Atletico Madrid are holding all the cards. They don't have to put in a £50m, £40m or £30m bid. They know that he wants to come and could say 'we'll give you £10m to take him off your hands'." Former Blues goalkeeper Schwarzer believes Chelsea are doing the right thing by asking Costa to return and believes that the only person the situation affects is the striker himself. "What they [Chelsea] should do is keep doing what they're doing. They've demanded that he comes back and he isn't. It'll go to FIFA or UEFA and they will try and sort it out through the legal procedures," he told The Debate. "In the meantime, the one person it really affects and is detrimental to is Diego Costa. His career is now at a standstill. Like Merse was saying, if Mr Abramovich decides 'I've had enough, I don't care who he is or how much I'll lost on this deal', although he won't actually because what Costa has done for the club he has made back tenfold already in what he paid in transfer fees.
12:49 AM Aug 18, 2017